The Regular Reading Period is now closed.
Simultaneous vs. Multiple Submissions
We do not consider multiple submissions, so please submit only one query at a time. Do not send a second submission until you have heard about the first. Simultaneous submissions to other journals are fine as long as they are identified as such and we are notified immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
If you are working on submissions with an agent, or are an agent submitting work on behalf of an author, please read our note on simultaneous submissions with an agent.
We encourage you to include a short cover letter with your submission. It should reference:
- Major publications and awards
- Any association or past correspondence with a guest or staff editor
- Past publication in Ploughshares
We will only accept queries for this series--not completed essays. Queries should be 1-2 pages and should include some details about the subject, how you plan to organize your discussion, and why you are particularly suited to write the piece.
Submit via our online submission manager.
If this is your first time submitting, you will need to create an account before uploading your document. To do this, click “My Account” at the top right corner of this page. We will only accept queries submitted through our website. Do not e-mail or mail us your queries.
- There is no fee for online submissions to the Look2 series.*
- Upload your submission as a Word (.doc, .docx), rich-text format (.rtf) file, or PDF. No .Pages, .txt, or Open Office Documents.
- Upload only one file containing a 1-2 page query with your cover letter as the first page of the file.
*The fee on the submission manager page indicates that a $3 submission fee is required; once you select "Add to Cart," your cart will reflect a $0 balance.
Accessing Your Submissions
You can view the status of your current submission as well as a list of your past submissions at any time by logging in to your account and clicking “My Submissions.”
Notifications and Queries
Your query will be reviewed in a timely manner. Please wait to receive a response before attempting to submit another query. Please note that the submission manager will only allow you to have one active submission at any time, and this includes submissions of poetry, fiction, or nonfiction. If you would like to withdraw your submission, please email us.
Payment is upon publication:
- $45/printed page, $90 minimum per title, $450 maximum per author.
- Two contributor copies of the issue.
- A one-year subscription.