Welcome to the website of Ploughshares (“PS”) published by Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts.
Please read the following terms and conditions of use (the “Terms”) carefully before using this website. These Terms govern your use of PSHARES.ORG (the “Site”) and is binding between you and PS. These Terms also apply to PS content which may be found on many social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter (collectively this Site and these other platforms are the “PS Platforms”).
We may modify, add to, or delete portions of these Terms at any time by posting updated Terms and any modifications, additions, or deletions to these Terms will become effective immediately upon posting, although any changes will only take effect prospectively, from the date of the change. You agree that your continued use of the PS Platforms following the posting of updated Terms indicates your consent to those changes.
Please note that these Terms do not apply to any other website operated by or under the authority of Emerson College but only to the PS Platforms.
1. Purpose of This Site and the PS Platforms
The PS Platforms are made available to you solely for informational, educational, and noncommercial use. You may not use any content from the PS Platforms for any commercial purpose unless you obtain our prior written consent. See Paragraph 2 for how you may obtain reprints or classroom copies. Any content you access via the Site is made available subject to the limitations set forth in these Terms.
2. Our Copyrights
The PS Platforms, including both the editorial content and the code used in programming of the PS Platforms, are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You are granted a limited license to access this content solely for your non-commercial use. You may not access this Site for competitive purposes or to otherwise mine data about our products and services or our subscribers or others that access the PS Platforms.
Except as explicitly provided in these Terms, you may not reproduce, distribute, transmit, display, prepare derivative works, perform, or use in any other way that is prohibited by copyright law without consent of the copyright holder, any copyrighted material found on the PS Platforms.
Any use of reprints is conditioned on the inclusion of notice on the reprint of PS’s copyrights to the material and state that the reprint is used with PS’s permission. You also are obliged to comply with any other limitations that maybe included with the reprints.
3. Our Trademarks
The Emerson College name, the “e” logo, the PS name, and the PS logo, are trademarks or service marks of Emerson College. Emerson College reserves all rights to these marks. You may not use any of the Emerson College or PS marks, logos, or graphics without the prior written consent of Emerson College. All other trademarks and service marks appearing on the PS Platforms are the property of their respective owners, and should be used only with prior written consent from the appropriate owner.
4. Third Party Content
The PS Platforms may contain links to sites and services, and use embedded tools provided and controlled by third parties and governed by the terms of service of those third parties. Emerson College is not responsible in any way for third party sites, services, or products that may be linked to, embedded in, featured on, or otherwise used via the PS Platforms or for any products or services that may be advertised by third parties thereon. Emerson College does not endorse the content, operators, products, or services of these providers, and users should review these providers’ own terms of service for more information.
5. General Rules
- You may only use the PS Platforms for noncommercial purposes. You may not use the PS Platforms to distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, or solicitation for goods and services.
- The PS Platforms are intended for users over the age of 13.
- Emerson College may delete, edit, or move any user-generated material that we believe may be objectionable or in violation of these Terms or for any other reason in our sole discretion. Emerson College may limit or terminate users’ access to the PS Platforms for any reason, including violation of these Terms. Please note that for purposes of this section, user generated content does not include materials formerly published by PS in its journal.
6. Discussion/Commenting Guidelines
If you participate in any discussions or leave comments on the PS Platforms you agree to the following additional rules.
- Be civil and please respond insightfully and respectfully. There is room for disagreement, but personal attacks will not be tolerated.
- Please stay on topic. If you have general questions or concerns about or with PS, please use our contact page.
- Please keep your comments short and limit posts to no more than 300 words. If you have to scroll to read your comment, it’s probably too long.
- Please review your comments. Good grammar, spelling, and punctuation make it easier for everyone to understand your ideas.
- You may link to or quote from relevant articles, but do not copy and paste entire or large portions of articles.
- PS welcomes your thoughts, but may remove or edit comments at our discretion, including for excessive length.
- Submissions must be civil and respectful. Hateful, harassing, or discriminatory language will not be tolerated on the digital platforms. Emerson College may delete any content that contains foul language, or may be otherwise inappropriate, without warning. In the case of repeated offenses, Emerson College may terminate your posting privileges.
- You may only post, upload, or transmit materials for which you own the copyright or have permission to distribute electronically. This includes newspaper or magazine articles, song lyrics, audio, video, photos, and images. You may not violate, plagiarize, or infringe the rights of third parties, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal, publicity, moral, or proprietary rights.
- Except as noted below, by posting, uploading, or transmitting any material on or through the PS Platforms, you hereby grant Emerson College a non-exclusive, irrevocable, sublicensable, perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide license to use that material in any form or media now known or hereinafter developed. Our rights to material you post or transmit on the PS Platforms include the right to use such content in advertising or promotions without any payment of any kind to you. This provision does not apply to any submission made via the Site for consideration of material for publication.
- You may not link to, post, upload, or transmit any software or other material which contains a virus or other harmful or malicious code. You may not use the PS Platforms to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, or spam or to gather e-mail addresses for the purpose of sending spam to other users of the PS Platforms.
7. Non-proprietary Treatment of Information You Provide Via The Site
Written Submissions: You may submit materials to PS via the Site. By submitting this material you are representing and warranting that you own all rights to the materials being submitted and that no third party consent or payment is necessary for PS to publish the material. Specifically, you represent and warrant that any work you submit for publication is original and not copied from any third party.
Other Materials Submitted to PS: Except for written submissions for publication, any communication you make with us via the PS Platforms will be treated as non-proprietary. Emerson College is free to use any idea, concept, or invention created by you and transmitted to it via the PS Platforms notwithstanding any limiting language you may use when transmitting such information.
If you do not want us to use your idea unless we pay you a fee, or agree to other terms, do not transmit it to us via the PS Platforms.
8. Your Representations and Warranties; Indemnity
You represent and warrant that any material you post, upload, or transmit on or through the PS Platforms (a) does not violate any intellectual property rights of any third party, (b) does not and will not violate any of these Terms, (c) your use of the PS Platforms complies with these Terms.
You agree that you will indemnify and hold harmless Emerson College and its directors, officers, employees, and licensees from any and all claims, liabilities, costs, or expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising from (1) your breach of any of the above representations and warranties, (2) your wrongful use of the PS Platforms, (3) the materials you have posted, uploaded, or transmitted on or through the PS Platforms, or (4) Emerson College’s publication, distribution, or use of such materials.
The PS Platforms are available on an “as is” and “as available” basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Emerson College does not warrant that the PS Platforms will be uninterrupted or error-free. Emerson College also does not make any warranties as to the results that may be obtained from use of the PS Platforms or as to the accuracy, reliability, or content of any information, service, products, opinions, or statements available on or through the PS Platforms or through links thereon. Use of the PS Platforms is entirely at your own risk.
10. Limitation of Liability
In no event will Emerson College, its directors, officers, or employees be liable for any indirect, consequential, special, incidental, or punitive damages, arising out of the use or inability to use the PS Platforms. In no event will Emerson College, its directors, officers, or employees be liable for any amount in excess of $100.
NOTE TO USERS ACCESSING THIS SITE FROM NEW JERSEY. The limitations of Section 10 do not apply.
12. Copyright Agent
If you believe that your work has been reproduced on the PS Platforms in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the following information in writing to PS’s Copyright Agent at the following address:
120 Boylston Street
Boston, Mass. 02116
Or by email at DMCA@emerson.edu.
- A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright.
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
- A description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material.
- Your contact information, such as address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
These Terms supersede any previous documents, correspondence, conversations, or other oral or written understanding related to these Terms. These Terms are governed by and construed under the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts without regard to its choice of law rules, and, where applicable, the laws of the United States. To the extent permissible by law, any disputes under these Terms or relating to the PS Platforms will be litigated in the state or federal courts located, and you hereby consent to personal jurisdiction and venue, in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. A modification or waiver of a part of these Terms will not constitute a waiver or modification of any other portion of the Terms. If for any reason any provision of these Terms is found unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible, and the remainder of the Terms will continue in full force and effect.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.